This will (somewhat) chronicle the next, and so far best, chapter in my life! I've moved to Hockessin, DE with an amazing woman that I am happy to call my fiance, and soon my wife. I also have a great house, dog, and couldn't be happier!

07 June 2008

A funny thing happened on the ride...

One of the things I routinely do on long rides is tape power gels to my top tube (the horizontal tube on a bike that goes between the seat post and the handlebars for those that may not know), so I have easy access to them when I need them. Generally, I take one per every 45 minutes of riding. This is a pretty common thing among cyclists and triathletes.

The only problem is: what do you do with the gel packet after you consume it? On a race, you just throw it on the ground. There are volunteers that clean up the course afterwards so you can do this guilt free. However, doing so while on a training ride would make you, as Hol says it, an "Eco-Terrorist!" So in trying to be the good citizen, I simply tuck the used packet under the edge of my cycling shorts usually towards the back (think: the middle of my hamstring).

The only problem with this is that as you continue to ride, sometimes there is a bit of gel left that leaks out and can get on your leg. Usually the only problem with this is that it's sticky.

Today, however, there was another problem. Most of these gels are clear - so if they leak, you can't really see them. Unfortunately, today - one of the gels I took was a chocolate flavored one. As I was finishing my ride, I noticed a few other people looking at me strangely as I passed, or waited for a light to change. I was in "cool-down" mode, so I wasn't in a hurry. I was wondering what was going on though, when even more people were looking at me. At one light, I happened to look down at the back of my right leg and was horrified to see that the chocolate power gel had leaked all down the back of my leg to my ankle. It looked like liquefied chocolate.....which under these circumstances, looks like liquefied.....well, you get the idea.

Now, we've all see those terrible pictures of marathon runners who just couldn't....um....wait a few more miles to take care of some very important business. Apparently, that's what these people thought about me.

Note to self - NEVER take a chocolate power gel on a ride again!

No comments: